Friday, January 11, 2008

More Bird Obsessiveness...

Today I spent a good 15 minutes sitting in silence on the deck, just marveling at the birds. We got blue jays today, and a new woodpecker. I've figured out what the doves sound like when the fly into the woods, and how the cardinals chirp and mostly like to eat off the ground, and how crazy loud the new giant woodpecker is--I can hear him in the woods even when I can't see him! Here's my birder's list:
Tufted Titmouse
Black-capped Chickadee (I have the most of these and the titmouse, they're the perfect size for the feeder and apparently there are about a million living in my woods. The chickadees are so cute, I want them to come fly and sit on my head)
Cardinals (both Male and Female)
Mourning Doves (these, I want to cradle like a baby and pet, they look so smooth and soft!)
Blue Jays (such bullies, but they *are* pretty)
Purple Finch (this was a new one today, too)
White Breasted Nuthatch
Goldfinch (only seen a female so far)
Red Billed Woodpecker (he's too big for the feeder but doesn't care, so he does this weird hanging/balancing thing on the bottom while he snatches seeds out of the last little hole)
Pileated Woodpecker (A MONSTER, he's huge!)

It's official, I'm a crazy bird lady. This evening I'm going to try and talk my boy into taking me to the book store for a field guide. Maybe some binoculars...
See you all Monday!

1 comment:

KatieKate said...

WE must have the same birdfeed. I feel like such a dork, but I totally sit there and watch them eating! I love it!