Monday, January 19, 2009

Take that, Daisy Bee Bees!

Y'all, I just *knew* today was going to be a good day.

After a lovely weekend that included dinner with The Wileys, finally getting all the dregs of Christmas put away, a Sunday afternoon matinee of Slumdog Millionaire, and Friedchickenriceandgravy (my favorite meal I hardly ever have), I had an early morning scheduled today. I had an appointment at my endocrinologist at 8 bloody AM. Early, but considering I clock into work at 6 two days a week now, not ridiculous, even for my day off.

Today was a re-scheduling of my December appointment, since I was working Mondays in December and couldn't make it. A month overdue, today was the day I get my new A1c. I had my fingers crossed that, thanks to my very careful control, my new walking in the park ritual, and all that other jazz, I could at least have a number in the 6 point something range. That was the goal, that was the hope.

Apparently, I have low expectations. This is good.

My A1c was actually 5.7. FIVE POINT SEVEN, y'all. This puts me BELOW normal diabetic range. This means my official diagnosis and all my medical records now read "Type II diabetes, CONTROLLED". You guys have no idea the happy dance I was doing inside. You have no idea the implications of this for me, for Matt, for everything. I'm positively overjoyed.

And, as I walked out to my car, it began to snow.

It's still early, but it's shaping up to be a heck of a day.

5 comments:

JMS said...

That is fantastic news! And it's snowing to boot - so definitely sounds like a good day to me!

TTFN
JMS

http://jennifershell.blogspot.com

PS: I work with Matt at Brinks - in case you were wondering! :)

Sunday Grant Photography said...

That is awesome news! But I have to be a little ignorant here, does that mean that you have daisy bee bees or no? congratulations anyway. i keep hearing the word snow for us but so far it has not come to fruition.

CortneyTree said...

Don't worry Sun, 6 months ago I wouldn't have known what it meant either ;) I still have it, there's no cure so I'll have it forever, but what it does mean is that the medication and everything else I have done has the disease controlled and my blood sugar levels are within normal ranges. I'm less at risk for heart attacks, eye problems, etc,--all the things diabetics have to worry about. If I stopped the medicine my sugars would go back to being high and I'd have increased risks for those complications again.

KatieKate said...

YAY FOR GOOD NEWS!!! Love it.

christy said...

HOOray! Glad your lifestyle changes have not been in vain! I kinda am missing snow a little, but still loving Florida winter weather!